Thursday, December 22, 2011

RIP Danny Chen


First of all, RIP Danny Chen. There's nothing else I can say so I won't even try. Condolences to the family and community. Stay strong. Ah mi two fwo, ah mi two fwo, ah mi two fwo, ah mi two fwo, ah mi two fwo, ah mi two fwo, ah mi two fwo...

Second, props to the military for stepping up and charging these fools. This has been happening to Gay people in the military for years and now Asians. It's entirely un-fucking acceptable. If this is a country that still considers itself the "City on the Hill", this absolutely can not happen. People wonder why Asians don't join the military or don't consider themselves American at times, it's things like this. The military failed in not preventing this, there is no way to get Danny back, but do right by the family and throw the fucking book at every one involved. This is an opportunity to show Asian Americans and any other group whether it's race, gender, sexual orientation, or creed, that we as a country do not stand for this fucking bull shit. There is no pretty, elegant, or classy way of saying this. It's disgusting, vile, and unacceptable. US Military, you already fucked up, there is no way to make this right, but you can get close by prosecuting the convicted to the fullest extent of the law. They have not been convicted yet, so I won't say they're guilty, but if they are... BURY THEM.

I grew up for years hearing ching chong jokes. If you read eater, you still see ching chong jokes in the comments. I get emails from people calling me a chink. If you go to Chik-Fil-a or watch Rosie O'Donnell, they're still telling ching chong jokes. For some reason, people think this shit is ok. Luckily, in NY, the papers cover these stories because we as a community and city can see that it's wrong. We understand not to call Black people "N", we know not to call Gays "Fs", we know not to call Lations "S", but why is it ok to call us chinks or ching chongs? Why was it funny to make a Tsunami song? Why do we even have to explain how fucked up that shit is? What would we be saying now if Danny Chen took other peoples' lives, instead of what military prosecutors seem to suggest happened, which is his own? No one wants something like that to happen in the future...

I ask that Americans see the consequences of Bullying and stop it. Every one grows up telling fat jokes or your mama jokes, but the racial/sexual/religious shit is on a different level and yall know it. We all know why people think they can pick on Asians, it's because no one thinks our neighborhood will strike back. If Rosie O'Donnell pulled a Kramer, she'd be black listed right now. Pun intended. African-Americans FOUGHT for that protection. They fought for that respect and knowledge that if someone attacked them on the basis of race that the entire community would stand up. Growing up, I wanted to be part of a community that had that power and respect. Ditto for the Jewish community and how they stand united. Respect!

ASIAN AMERICANS, it is your duty to stick up and say something when people fling racial epithets at you, your friends, your community, your fellow Asian people. You can't hide in a cubicle from this shit! A JD, MD, CPA is not going to protect your kids from some assholes who want to jump him after school. Luckily, I have parents that told me to defend myself or don't come home at all. I got two assaults on my record, but people know not to call me a chink. Stand the fuck up yall!

This shit is not a game. People aren't just going to give us respect. We can fight on our streets, we can fight in court rooms, we can fight with our votes, we can fight with our money, but most importantly we should stop fighting ourselves. Stop hating on people because you're Taiwanese and he's Cantonese. There aren't enough of us in this damn country for Mandarin speakers to not fuck with Cantonese speakers and vice versa. I hear Chinese people all the time clown on Vietnamese/Korean people. News flash you fucking bozos, Americans can't tell us apart, we're all chinks to them!

Cast down your buckets and accept that we are in this together right now. We should understand our distinct identities, cultures, and societies, but right now these aren't just crimes against Chinese people, they are crimes against ASIANS. Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, and Kim Jong Il's Son, unfortunately we all fam now. As much as it pains me to say it, I guess I have to be friends with Fukienese people and their super buffets... :(. Trust me, I'm less thrilled about it than you are, but it's the truth: we are stronger together. Spend money in Chinatown/Ktown/Nonya/and that street where one Japanese dude owns Rai Rai Ken, Terriyaki Boy, and Curry Ya. Ok, not trying to be funny, but that kinda made me laugh. My bad... Be conscious, be active, and be strong. Every neighborhood, ethnicity, religion, gay, lesbian, trans-gender, literally had to fight for protection and respect in this country. It's sad but true. We can't run Asian people. It's time to put an end to this shit. Punch ignorance in the fucking mouth and DO NOT ACCEPT HATE CRIMES!

P.S. Anyone who wants to call this post un-American can kiss my Chinese-American No-MSG Dick. I just fed 200+ needy people in Orlando from all walks of life. I fux with America but sometimes Americans let me down... I hope you understand.

32 comments:

  1. You're an inspiration, bro. Keep fighting the good fight and, man, expand your empire! Even if your food sucks, which I know it doesn't, I'd eat at your establishments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Truth mixed with a little fire is something we often don't see, so thanks for laying it out like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of America right here. Change the game!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As fucked up as it is, our biggest problem is nobody fears us anymore. In the 80s-90s every other week you hear about Green Dragons, BTK, Wah Ching shooting up a pool hall or dim sum parlors full of tourists. Back in my high school days, when a geeky Danny Chen type got fucked up by some dude bros who were just having some fun, 20 minutes you would see Danny's goon brother and 10 of his goons jump out of beat up mini vans with bats,machetes, butterfly knives, those giant motorola cellphones that weighed 20 lbs that people used as batons and sending people in wheel chairs with respirators. Everyone would cringe in fear when they saw a bunch of asians dressed like a Flock of Seagulls. Now we're running startups, holding talks at social media forums, going to law school, getting VC money, working on our doctorates, shopping at Crate & Barrel, and taking kung fu classes from white guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 8 soldiers should be charged with treason/terrorism under NDAA for betraying American soldier-patriot. detain them for life. RIP Danny Chen #dannychen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Preach on Eddie.

    Growing up Chinese-American in NYC, I had to deal with all the jokes. Kids at school getting up in my face mocking the language I speak at home, making fun of me cause my eyes looked different, assuming they could fuck with me and get away with it cause they thought I wouldn't go to a teacher.

    Now it's 2011, almost 2012 dammit. And the same shit is still happening. This kind of harassment and abuse is unacceptable for any reason. We can't just be quiet and let this slide, say something, do something.

    Remember to treat others like how we want to be treated, with dignity and respect. Regardless of who they are, where they're from, and what they do. It all starts with yourself as a human being.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for writing this.
    Well written and to the point!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ricky, good post my man. Don't forget Flying Dragons :)

    But what happened to us that our sons need to suffer this shit??

    All the Dai Lo's were taken down in early 1990's. Italian (i.e. Italian Catholics) mafia thrive cuz local law enforcement (i.e. Irish Catholics) turns other cheek.

    But Chink Godfather? (see Godfather then watch Year of Dragon )

    Danny *Chen* was shot through the *Chin*.

    FUCKING MOFO's.

    I'll say it again...

    Danny *Chen* was shot through the *Chin*.

    Fucking Douchebags...

    Guys, Danny Chen's death is not in vain. For the memory of Danny Chen, let's stop fighting each other & make this country a better place. No matter what race, that's the least we can do for our sons & daugthers. And for Danny Chen's Mom & Dad. RIP #dannychen #hang8traitors

    - Yao Zheng Yi

    ReplyDelete
  9. The soldiers who hazed Pvt. Chen are from a unit in my hometown. I'm half-Taiwanse. Growing up, I heard every soy sauce joke in the book. I was routinely called a chink. A teacher in my high school even made a chink joke! It's unbelieveable how callous people are when it comes to Asian racism. Great post, Eddie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not Asian, but I KNOW I was in a past life (bear w/me here), and am pretty sure on Pops side there are some genetic links, but that's besides the point. This is an astoundingly ON POINT and long delayed post. I appreciate your sincerity and the TRUTH and urgency of the message cannot be denied. Thank you for writing from your heart + please continue to wake up the sleeping masses. Bless, Jess. ha, that rhymes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Asians: Do not join the US Military. Stay outside of it and humiliate these Mexicans and Blacks and Whites by making more than them, and contributing more to the federal and state taxes. Our 100k salaries are the only thing that is important, compared to the shitty Mexicans who actually make LESS if they DON'T join the Army. The army pays shit! So they take out their anger on you if you join the military. Fight back by taking your anger of this (if you are Asian American) by treating these low IQ, low pay, low life quality pieces of crap each and every day when they serve you in the public sphere.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "humiliate these Mexicans and Blacks and Whites by making more than them, and contributing more to the federal and state taxes."

    Are you serious? We all should be trying to get alone and NOT humiliate anyone. You don't stop racism by being a racist.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Man...Eddie, what happened to that soldier was absolutely terrible, and I'm with you in wanting the perps to be prosecuted to the full extent of military law.

    I'm sorry that some Americans still do this mess to other Americans, and we need to be better about having better respect and love for others.

    ReplyDelete
  14. EXACTLY SO humiliate the whites, blacks and mexicans? first of all none of the offenders are acutally Mexican..and Second if they were so what? That makes it ok to now target others by being racist? so assuming you are Asian and making over 100K a year...that does not help the fact that you sound incredibly ignorant and stupid. There are many intelligent, well educated people our there who are NOT ASIAN in case you did not know that...my husband is Mexican American and he is very well educated and makes good money, and dare I say, maybe even more than some Asians! omg! I'd love to actually meet you face to face and have a conversation with you, you would make me feel so smart :) being I am actually Chinese American and I did not graduate from an ivy league nor do I earn over 100K, you are just beyond dumb and it is sad.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous, for the record, I DO NOT SUPPORT the statement about humiliating mexicans, blacks, whites. Clearly, my article has nothing to do with that comment and I'm actually really sorry it spurred someone to write those things in the comments. I'm sure you can tell from what I wrote in the post that those aren't my intentions.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Leeho1: I understand the racial hate that occurs in the US. Army I was an E-4 during the Vietnam era at the time, ETS out of Fort Hood TX overseas duty was in Korea racial hate was there too for me. One day wile cleaning my APC in the motor pool my own platoon Sergeant had came up too me and called me an God-d... chink. The nerve of that a.. I have 5 brothers who all served in the Military 3 went to Nam, one on land two at sea also my Father served in WWII and sadly too mention my cousin was killed in Vietnam trying too save his buddy. I truly feel for Chen and his family and surly understand what he had went through. RIP My friend

    ReplyDelete
  17. My heart and soul go out to Danny's family...I'm asian american and I have been in the US Army for 14 years; I'm the walking testimony of racism, bullying, and discrimination in the military. I experience that shut daily and it just happened today when I was in my office. I'm telling not because I'm weak or I can't handle it; I'm telling because I want people to know how fucked up the US military is and it will continue to be fucked up because no one really cares or want to care about minorities like us...Now I start to understand why so many chinese immigrants moved back to China during the 18th and 19th century...We don't have to do the same. But if we are going to have a voice; if we are going to be heard; if we are going to mean something to somebody in America, WE NEED TO BE UNITED AND LET OUR VOICES BE HEARD! Like the Latinos, the Jews, and the Blacks did many decades ago. Otherwise, we will always be mistreated, suppressed, and discriminated. The human race is just another food chain, with intelligence.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hands down one of the most articulate, passionate, and accurate statement/descriptions of the state of Asian Americans today. Agree 100% with you Eddie. I only wish I posted this lol #jealous. RIP to Mr Danny Chen, all blessings to his family for their incredible loss.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wish my website loaded up as quickly as yours lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. this article is truly a good paragraph, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I truly like your technique of writing a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I book marked it to my bookmark webpage list and will be checking back in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello there! Big thumbs up for the excellent info have got here on this post.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your style is so unique. I’ve enjoyed read stuff here. Waiting for your nest post.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I blog often and I seriously appreciate your information. Your article has really peaked my interest.

    ReplyDelete